Breast cancer is a type of a tumour that begins from breast tissue. It emerges when cells in the breast begin to divide and grow unnaturally. Usually, these cells form a tumour that can be seen on an x-ray or felt in the breast area in the shape of a lump. A tumour becomes cancerous when the cells grow into surrounding tissues or spread (metastasise) to distant parts of the body.
Breast Cancer is one of the common types of cancer affecting women and the fifth leading cause of death from cancer worldwide. One in eight women is diagnosed with Breast Cancer once in their lifetime. Studies indicate that Breast Cancer risk doubles each decade until menopause, after which the increase slows. Survival rates for Breast Cancer vary globally, but rates are being improved duet to early detection and the improvement in treatment strategies.
Breast Cancer Risk and Prevention
Even though there’s no sure way to prevent breast cancer completely, there are certain things you can do to reduce the risk, such as changing the risk factors that come under your control.
The following changes in lifestyle can reduce the risk of Breast Cancer:
- Avoid excess alcohol consumption
- Follow a healthy diet with plenty of fresh fruit & vegetables
- Be physically active & do regular exercise
- Maintaining a healthy body mass index (BMI)
Most Common Symptoms of Breast Cancer:
- Swelling of all or part of a breast (even if no distinct lump is felt)
- Skin irritation or dimpling
- Breast or nipple pain
- Nipple retraction (turning inward)
- Redness, scaliness, or thickening of the nipple or breast skin
- Nipple discharge (other than breast milk)
Breast Cancer is usually found after symptoms appear, however, many women with Breast Cancer have no symptoms, making regular screening vital.
Reem Diagnostic Research Centre provides the best Breast Cancer Screening Package in Abu, Sharjah for AED 500 that comprises:
- Breast Ultrasound
Be proactive about your health and get screened TODAY! Call 800 AVIVO (28486) for appointments.