NEW BORN SCREENING PANEL – 50 METABOLIC DISORDERS BY MASS SPECTOMETRY
Royal English Laboratory provides the best possible newborn screening test in Kuwait. Newborn screening test is a practice of testing every newborn for certain harmful or potentially fatal disorders that aren’t otherwise apparent at birth.
Why newborn screening lab test?
- Affected babies are identified quickly before symptoms appear
- Cases of disease are not missed
- The number of false-positive results is minimized
- Early treatment can begin, that prevents the negative and irreversible health outcomes for affected newborns
- Most treatments are inexpensive and may involve the addition of a vitamin to the diet, hormone supplementation, avoidance of certain foods and chemicals or dietary changes
Why early detection?
It could lead to lifelong complications, such as:
- Mental Retardation
- Motor Impairment
- Physical Disability
Who to screen NBS?
- Every Newborn (routine screening)
- High Risk
- Unexplained deaths of siblings
- Miscarriages and aborted fetuses
- Exhibit symptoms of IEMs
- Babies conceived by IVF
- Babies in NICU
- Sick Children
WHAT TO SCREEN (United Laboratories)
Acylcarnitine Profile (Tandem Mass Spectrometry)
- Fatty Acid Oxidation Disorders
- Organic Acid Disorders
Amino Acid Profile (Tandem Mass Spectrometry)
- Amino Acid Disorders
- Urea Cycle Disorders
Biochemical screening (enzyme assay/enz. Immunoassay):
- Congenital Hypothyroidism
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia
- G6PD Deficiency
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Biotinidase Deficiency
Blood Sample Collection
Sample: Blood spot is collected on filter paper
- Baby needs to be fed at least 2-3 times before the specimen is taken.
- After 24 hours of birth.
TAT: 7 days